Friday 30 March 2012

Thunder Rider - Tales of Darkness and Light - Chapter II (2002)



Canadian distinguished champions of underground metal, Thunder Rider, unleashed their second album, Tales of Darkness and Light Chapter II (can you guess their début title?) already this century, more exactly in the year of our Lord Iommi, 2002, although it keeps all the hallmarks of their first effort dated from 1988. Just like their eighties début, ToD&LII is a first-rate effort on how to lay humongous slabs of unadulterated and classic epic metal with intricate ambient, intelligent lyrics and moving guitar work supported by a top notch band that doesn't do any concessions to the trends du jour.

Thunder Rider are the defiant conquerors with no opposition, to the best of my knowledge, in their well crafted, melodic but crushing, pomp but flying dangerously low brand of the utmost epic heavy metal.

Let me stress that this album is a self -release, so if you can't afford the CD (many times I can't), which includes a twenty odd something page booklet with an illustration to each song, at least go to Thunder Rider's website and buy a pin, sticker or t shirt, actually they have some decent merchandise to sell. I'm in no way related to the band, in fact I hardly have any friends, probably due to a combination of my outstanding musical taste, football team choice, vicious pets and perfectly reasonable claim to be the modern day reincarnation of King Herod, The Great... Oh, let's not forget my good looks and consequent horde of concubines.



Also, I would like to underline the fact that I am not a multi instrumentalist like John Blackwing, Thunder Rider's lead voice, lead, rhythm & synth guitar, acoustic six & twelve string, keyboards and classical flute...uff! I can barely manage to play door bells, let alone a guitar! What I'm saying is that in no way am I qualified to even pretend to seriously review any of the music on this page. What I can do, however, is to describe the feelings I get when I listen to it, on that subject, I certainly have some considerable experience. For a more detailed and technical minded review, please let your index finger take you here.

So, if you want something eclectic in it's influences but straight up epic metal in its delivery, go for Thunder Rider. If you also want a high quality but obscure release, don't hesitate. Absolute no fillers here, 110% epic, with well crafted atmosphere and truly believable metal, the kind that takes you there, the kind that doesn't disappoint or fail to elevate you to that next level of empowerment only achieved by a good classic heavy metal band. At least I consecutively fail to grasp this same feeling in the more modern and "extreme" bands, but that might be just me... though I doubt!

1 comment: