Friday 8 May 2009

Blasphème - Désir De Vampyr - 1985




Blasphème are a French Heavy Metal band formed in 1981 and after a first
album in 1983 the Englishman Robert Wood, arrived in 1985 to record their
masterpiece, the sophomore Desir de Vampyr. This album is a classic of French
heavy metal and were this band singing in English , I dare say their brand
of dark, crispy sounding but macabre would have been a force to be reckoned
with in the heavy metal scene of their era.

I was old and lucky enough at the time to enjoy their music as they were never
big in the English speaking world like Trust or even Sortilège. Though there's a
certain resemblance between the last and Blaspheme, I find them closer to the
Danish band Mercyful Fate with the obvious differences. When compared both
singers,Marc holds his ground very firmly even when talking of a legend
like King Diamond.

Another positive point about this album is the fact that it doesn't have any
bad tracks at all and even if like me, you are not quite familiar with French
bands, or your knowledge of Napoleon's idiom goes from "baguette" to "baton"
with nothing in between, don't let that turn you away from this jewel in the
crown of French Heavy Metal.

The crispy production and skill displayed by Blaspheme, when allied to
the decadent and unholy vibe that hovers all through this album should
be a reason strong enough to have it in your collection, filed under
Pure Unadulterated Heavy Metal

Did you notice that on this review the abbreviation NWOBHM was
never used? Now, that's certainly rare, more so if discussing an album
from an early 80's Heavy Metal band but because they are French
there was nothing I could do, damn!




My favourite tracks are "Seul", "Desir de Vampyr" and "Vive Libre".
Please remember that I've listened to this album countless times during
the last 24 years, so trust me!
For fans of Mercyful Fate, Sortilege and Satan Jokers.

3 comments:

  1. Great info dude,wanna hear more from this site soon.Best wishes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there! I saw you followed my blog since a short time so I though I might as well check out your own. Looks interesting, I'm not really experienced with the real old doom, so it's time I educated myself. :) Too bad the last entry is from so long ago, you had a cool thing goin on here.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Charles D. Ward
    You're the author of "For The Greater Good"? Well, looks like we agree on more than just the musical taste. Thanks for your comment, and I'm sorry for such a delay in my reply. Shame that your blog is now "dead", I've got some really decent stuff from there. Cheers anyway!

    @guitarshits
    Thanks for your kind comment. Site's up and running again, hope you like the music.

    \m/

    ReplyDelete